Tuesday, February 24, 2009

punk rock feminism rules, okay?

Whenever I listen to Bikini Kill I get all angsty and want to start a revolution of sorts.
These are the kinds of women I think girls should be looking up to. Not afraid to be abrasive, loud and characteristically "un-ladylike." They do not feel any pressure to conform towards gender norms, and they let themselves be heard.. no matter how vulgar the lyrics may be perceived. There are really no female bands quite like them anymore, and if there are please make me aware of them and open my ignorant mind.
I remember I made a mix CD for a friend of mine and included a Bikini Kill song on it. When I asked him what he thought he said "they're so... angry.. and.. amazing!" Which I think perfectly sums up why they are so great. I wish I could be a part of the Olympia music scene... SIIIIGH.
I was looking for a good live performance video but the sound quality is pretty crappy on youtube. I'll settle for this video montage to "rebel girl."


P.S. ex-Bikini Kill member Kathleen Hanna is now a current member of Le Tigre, which you probably have heard of. They are also mind blowingly awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment